Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Wikipedia and hooked on technology

I really don't like wikipedia. I guess it is a good easy information website, but it bugs me when people want to use it for research papers. My brother, who is a sophomore in high school, had to do a speech on David Bowie last week. He kept telling me it was no big deal he'll just look up information on Wikipedia because the teacher did not require citing sources. I told him it shouldn't even matter that it is not a big research paper, you should not even get used to just going to wikipedia. I showed him 4 books at the library and the biographic database on inspire. Anything he needs to look up online, he automatically goes to wikipedia. I don't know if this is normal for teens his age and if schools tell students not to use it but I hate that he wants to use it at all for any project relating to school.

I don't consider myself a big technology and computer person and don't consider myself addicted to it at all-that is until I lost my internet. A few weeks ago my internet went out. I thought it was because of a bad wind storm we had. But a few days later internet still did not work. A call to ATT and an hour on the phone, I found out I had a defective modem. I went a week without the internet, only checking my email two of those days at work. I hated that I could not look up the pointless websites I do everyday or even not being able to email.

The internet makes things so much easier, when I didn't have it my boyfriend and me were trying to figure out the name of the actor in a movie. Usually all I would have to do is go on Imdb.com and look it up, few minutes top. Since I didn't have the internet, it took us forever to think of the name I had to pull out the movie (vhs even so I could not even skip chapters!!) and we fast forwarded it to the part where he was in to see who he was.

4 Comments:

Blogger Joel said...

This reminds me of a blog entry I read earlier today (and one that I'll probably write about soon), talking about an article published last week called "Information Behaviour of the Researcher of the Future".

The report "shows that research-behaviour traits that are commonly associated with younger users – impatience in search and navigation, and zero tolerance for any delay in satisfying their information needs – are now the norm for all age-groups, from younger pupils and undergraduates through to professors."

This is very scary to me!

January 16, 2008 at 5:50 PM

 
Blogger Drea said...

I’m torn on Wikipedia. I think it’s wonderful for those quick easy facts that you need. Colors of the Brazilian flag? BANG! There it is. But using it alone for research...eh, no. However, it is a great tool to use as a jumping point. We discussed this a little in class tonight, but Wikipedia does often cite sources. It’s those sources that you go to and use if they are of value. I think Wikipedia still has a long way to go before it because a truly reliable source, but it is a great thing/tool nonetheless.

January 17, 2008 at 6:28 PM

 
Blogger Mary Alice Ball said...

I get a little jumpy sometimes when I don't have a computer at my fingertips. :-) Just yesterday my daughter, Laura, and I were talking and she asked about James Dean. I was able to go online and pull up a clip from Rebel without a Cause. It really is all about immediate gratification!

January 21, 2008 at 7:58 PM

 
Blogger Marcella said...

Hey Amy

I’m still trying to find the overall fascination with the wiki. Thursday night after class I went to the library and a friend of mine who just finished her MLS last semester. I was telling her about being a little timid with creating and maintaining a Wiki. I am not the type of person who can easily jot down things in my head – there is so much emotion up there that I scare myself. Anyway, she was so excited that she said she was going to create one and that it was a good idea. She said she loves the idea of jotting things down and that it reminders her of keeping a journal. I guess to each his own. I am nothing but embracing of new emerging technology

January 21, 2008 at 10:22 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home