Tuesday, January 29, 2008

U2 and Pandora

Unfortunately my technology thoughts this week have nothing to do with libraries or class but they are important to me :)

If you know me you will know I am a huge u2 fan. In fact the last time I saw them I had general admission tickets so I had to get to the concert hours and hours before so I can get in line to get a good spot on the floor. Well it paid off because I got pictures of bono and edge and my ticket signed.

Bono super close, couldn't manage to say anything but thank you, but shrieked right after it happened
My ticket
Sorry I try to throw this in whenever I get the chance :)
Anyway on Saturday I saw U23D at Navy Pier in Chicago. It was an Imax movie. I have never seen an Imax movie before and was really worried because it seemed everyone I had talked to did not like them and would get sick watching them. It was the greatest thing ever. Not only was Bono and U2 way tall but I could see every minuscule detail on them from birth marks to five o'clock shadows. Plus they were 3d so all I wanted to do was reach out and touch them. Needless to say I love Imax technology and think it's the greatest thing ever. I had never understood why people have to see movies in Imax but now I do and I think I may be seeing Batman there when it comes out this summer.

A few months ago someone sent me a link to a website called Pandora. It is a FREE music website where you type in a band, artist or song you enjoy and the site sets up a station by that band, artist or song you chose. That station plays music by whatever you typed in but also other bands that sound like them. It is not all popular music but bands that may not necessarily be that famous. I have found a lot of new people that I enjoy but have never heard of before. The site links the songs to amazon or itunes so you can purchase them if you like them. It also talks about the artist and the song and why they chose this song for you station. You can give the song a thumbs up or down-- thumbs up plays the song again thumbs down you will never hear it again. You can also choose not to hear the song for a month if it repeats over and over again. I just love the website because its FREE. I would recommend everyone check it out!

4 Comments:

Blogger Joel said...

Amy,

I love Pandora! It really is a great resource to find new music, and while it may not always pick something I like, it's kind of exciting to find out what's coming up next.

Another website called Last.FM has started to offer free streaming music. The good news is that you can pick what you want to hear; the bad is that they don't have a ton available right now. But I think this is where music listening is headed.

January 30, 2008 at 4:12 PM

 
Blogger Kris said...

Amy,

I also am a huge fan of Pandora! I discovered it by accident just a few weeks ago, and now am listening to it all the time! I can listen to whatever type of music I'm in the mood for, I get to hear new artists with similar styles, and (the best thing, I think) no annoying DJs or commercials! Great stuff!

Kris

January 31, 2008 at 7:05 AM

 
Blogger Drea said...

I adore Pandora! I haven't used it in a while, but I use to listen to it all the time. I discovered it while taking another SLIS class. I discovered several new artists that I love because of it!

January 31, 2008 at 5:40 PM

 
Blogger Mary Alice Ball said...

I have heard about Pandora but still haven't gotten around to checking it out. Maybe now I will. I do sort of exist in a different world though... I have been trying to remain silent about the existence of the Imax Hannah Montana movie. Let's hope no one I know learns about it.

February 14, 2008 at 11:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home