Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Gliffy and cell phone problems

The Case Study has been really difficult for me. I knew what I wanted to say but I have had problems getting it on paper as a diagram without lines pointing in every direction (this happened on my second graph on my rough draft to which I received an 'Oh my God' from my brother, after that I assumed I needed to change it :). I finally completed something that looked decent using Word. I had looked at gliffy.com but was a little apprehensive to use it. I played with it a little tonight and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to use. I made my graphs in half the time it took to make them using Word and they looked really nice.


Last Friday night I tried dialing on my cell phone and there was nothing on the other end-no attempt to make the call. All I thought was 'what now.' I called my boyfriend on my house phone (something I rarely use) to see if he had tried to call me. He said he did and it went right to my voice mail. At this point I was freaking out because I had dropped my phone at work a few days before on the nice hard floor so I thought it was broke. But I checked my parent's phones and their phones did not work either.

Saturday was still much of the same; my mom called Verizon to find out the tower in my area was out. However the Verizon person said if we had updated our phones (you are supposed to dial *228 every so often) we probably would have been able to go off another tower. Umm yeah I didn't know I was supposed to update my phone. Maybe I'm the only one.

The phone was down all day Saturday but by the time I woke up on Sunday it was working again. It was not that much of problem for me because if I needed to use a phone I have my house phone. I do however have a few friends who do not have a house phone, just their cell. Someone like this would have not had a phone for a over a day.

So all in all I found a new piece of technology I enjoyed but also had some technology problems this week.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Hi Amy,
I have a Verizon cell too, and while I haven't had problems making calls, there have been times when my pohne will beep b/c I have a voicemail, but it never rang to let me know someone was calling. Weird.
Thanks for reminding me that I need to update my phone also :)

February 6, 2008 at 10:49 AM

 
Blogger Marcella said...

Hey Amy,
I understand the frustration and love for cell phones. I think what is really cute is how Verizon just assumes anyone knows to call #228. So what exactly does it do and is that helpful piece of information anywhere in the paperwork, aka the bill, they send to you each month?

Probably not!?

February 7, 2008 at 8:48 PM

 
Blogger Mary Alice Ball said...

I just finished dialing *228. I remember that I've been told to do that when I've had problems before but who ever thinks to keep up with it on a regular basis?! Not me. Thanks, Amy.

February 18, 2008 at 9:39 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home