Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Blog post 4

Reading the book Little Brother really has me thinking about censorship and our right in the US. Sometimes I think how crazy some people are who get angry if their child reads books they find not acceptable or how movies get rated because there is cuss words or nudity. However I think I still need to be thankful for the freedom that we do have.

To find my article I typed in censorship in google-just to see what I got, amongst the articles there were tons on Iran and Twitter and a bunch just on China in general-talking about about computer programs and the Internet and this article that I finally chose to use.

The article talks about how China's First Gay Pride event is going to be censored. The censorships includes not screening movies with gay/lesbian themes. The event was not going to be a huge thing (have you ever seen Chicago's Gay Pride parade) but just a few smaller cultural events with movies and art shows. The article said this was so it would escape the eyes of Chinese officials.

The article said it's not illegal to be gay or lesbian in China it is however kept underground. That would be a hard life for anyone. Gay and lesbian people don't always get treated fairly in the US (ok they don't since they can get married in just a few states) but at least they can let people know they are gay. I think in China you really can't tell anyone, I wonder if someone would get fired if they came out.

Even if you look at the side of the webpage there are articles from all over the world with people who may run into problems with gay pride events.

I would never want to live in a place where I couldn't do something because the government thought it was bad and wanted to censor everything. It would be a very scary place to be-but as I read through Little Brother I can almost picture the US going to a place like the book, probably not as extreme but it could happen.

1 Comments:

Blogger Julie Reitz said...

Amy,
I loved reading your blog and the passion and excitement you show for intellectual freedom and expression! I also agree and feel we need to protect IF as much as possible, especially when we are witnessing our neighboring countries being "silenced" or "purged" for political, religious, and other ideological reasons. Your post brings to mind two wonderful resources: George Orwell's 1984 (which I need to reread again now!) and my favorite black and white Twilight episode "Obsolete." :)

June 18, 2009 at 12:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home